Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
When a fire damage accurs SERVPRO of San Mateo is aware of how devastating and stressfull it can be. After you have contacted our offices we understand you might want to know what are the next steps. The first thing we strongly recomend to stay out of the building and stay out in a safe area.
Always remeber your safty is always the prioraty. If you were exposed to smoke make sure you cintact your fassison for more information. Be supper carfull if you are inside the building as the structure may be weak and parts can fall at any moment. After any fire damage situation, the primary focus is always your safety!
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (650) 931-6060
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.